Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Martha Wainwright on Letterman

While channel surfing tonight, through the late night musical slots, I got a delightful surprise. Martha Wainwright was the musical guest on Late Night and delivered a mesmerizing reading of Leonard Cohen's "Tower Of Song". I've always wondered how a cover of this song would go over as it seems to be uniquely Cohen's with its boast, "I was born like this, I had no choice/I was born with the gift of a golden voice." No worries. She managed to make the song all her own with a singing style that very similar to Dolly Parton's. Her smooth vocals and flowing arrangement suited the song very well. I was riveted to the screen.
I've really been impressed with the batch of ladies overtaking the airwaves lately (Neko Case, Regina Spektor, K.T Tunstall). Having always been a fan of female rockers, I'm quite happy to see them claiming their place in the boys club that is rock 'n' roll. Their seductive and unique personas are a breath of fresh air in popular music.
And these women are no cookie cutter marketing scheme. They all seem to have terrific songwriting talents and wonderful singing voices. I certainly can't say the same for most of the male singers who populate bands today. Girl Power has never sounded so sweet.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


iPod Song of The Day: "Twist The Knife" from the Neko Case album Furnace Room Lullaby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home