Saturday, May 14, 2005

American Beauty radio spot, pirate radio, Frank Zappa, Up Above The Daily Hum

This radio spot was included as a bonus track on the Grateful Dead's American Beauty remastered disc(2003). http://rapidshare.de/files/1767061/18_Radio_Spot_For_American_Beauty.mp3.html
It tickles my funny every time it comes up on shuffle on my iPod. Why can't radio have fun stuff like this on it anymore. I ain't talkin' about satellite radio either. I can't afford it, so it might as well not exist.

And why would you wanna pay for someone else to be your DJ? I can only recall a handful of late night acid house parties where I was genuinly amused/entertained by someone who took control over the speakers. Maybe it's a control thing...NO, it's not a control thing. I know how to entertain my ears. And I do it best. And mad props to Kevin and Ricky(the acid house dj's) for all those crazy pop songs I'd never heard. Now, THOSE guys should start a pirate radio station for the Houston Heights and I would sure as shit tune in. But I think they are too busy feedin' their spawn to be doing anything that fun.

In Frank Zappa's "The Real Frank Zappa Book", he writes that some day music would flow like water in to your household. We all lived long enough to see(hear) the mpthree. Although Frank realised this was inevitable, would he have been happy that artists received no compensation for 'em? I have no moral issues about this subject. I have given the music industry most of my entertainment $ for more that 25 yrs and have been fucked in the wallet for doing so. I will not be the one who pads JoJo's marketing budget.

Speaking of JoJo...that fucking Gap commercial she is now starring in makes me wanna fillet my dick with a nail file. White girl "soul" is SHIT! If you're a white chick and can sing, sing rock. I'll listen to Diana Ross if I wanna hear white girl soul. And I don't.

Been obsessed with the Flaming Lips "Up Above The Daily Hum" lately. This song is where it's at. Intro drum beats sound like its gonna be more up tempo, but when the piano kicks in it's all mood-rock. It speaks to the sentimentalist in me, but also expresses the longing for something beyond the routine and planning of the day. It blows my mind in its discussion of the "moments" we have, asking where does one end and the next begin. Simple and seductive.


"Up Above The Daily Hum"
by Steven Drozd

Wondering at the scope of my experience
Cautious so not to be cold
Caught up in the compfort of what I once was
Lost in all the brand new possibilities
Oh to be
In the middle
Out beyond the pull of the past
Just before the future comes
Hoping for the rush of some experience
That could elevate me

Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum

When is this moment over
When does the next one begin?
Out beyond the pull of the past
Just before the future comes
Hoping for the rush of some experience
That could elevate me

Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum
Up above the daily hum


iPod song of the day: Days Between(rehearsal 2.16.93) Grateful Dead's "So Many Roads" boxed set

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home